Top 3 data/events
• Singapore – We expect the PMI to remain above the 50 threshold
• Europe – New offshore Renminbi centres set to get a boost
• US – ISM data is likely to thaw gradually
• Market focus
• The sharp fall in UST implied volatili...
In 2010 we argued that fast growth in emerging markets (EM) and their increasing weight in world GDP was driving an economic super-cycle. We have lowered our forecasts for China, India and others, but the case broadly still holds (see Part 1).
We maintain our long-held call for the MAS to keep its policy stance unchanged; risk is of minor easing
• Ongoing restructuring to keep MAS focused on inflation; current SGD NEER level offers loosening room
• Leveraged funds: Sell SGD-THB, target ...
• Although Indonesia’s economic fundamentals are still strong, its external exposures are rising
• Balance-of-payments deterioration needs to be addressed with structural rather than ad-hoc measures
• External debt has risen in recent years, but ...
• The MYR market sold off sharply in July amid concerns over the weak fiscal and external position
• We revise our BNM policy rate call and now expect the next hike in Q3-2014 (not in Q4-2013)
• We recommend MYR 2Y/5Y IRS steepener, see more valu...
• Worries over the impact of eventual US tightening and policy actions in China may have affected markets, but Asia’s underlying macro resilience remains intact. Domestic demand indicators have been holding up. We have downgraded our 2013 growth for...
The two key macro signals – the market’s Fed view and China’s data – signal more near-term pain
• The key positioning signal – high cash levels – dampens negative feedback from redemption flows
• In H2, slightly better China growth and lower...
If this is a public computer please consider checking this box carefully.
Please access our research via your Straight2Bank account
Digital technology is transforming the economy and society. Adoption, not invention, has the most economic impact. Technology can lift developed countries if they embrace change. New technologies offer more opportunities than challenges for emerging markets.
About Standard Chartered
Group investor relations
Group media centre
WB media centre
Copyright © 2015 Standard Chartered Bank