China’s oil and copper demand was strong in September
• Demand for other commodities was weak; the macroeconomic outlook is for a further slowdown in Q4
• We expect copper and oil demand to remain more robust than demand for most other commodities...
Commodity import data for China implies a divergent set of demand circumstances across sectors
• Implied oil demand has rebounded to 3.4% growth, from a y/y decline seen in the previous release
• Robust copper and zinc demand despite the economy; ...
Edible oil and oilseed prices have sold off in anticipation of continuing large surpluses in the market
• Firm demand from China and smaller harvests in some markets to tighten global edible oil inventories
• We mark to market our forecasts for CP...
• July commodity data shows areas of economic strength but also a setback in the economic recovery
• Weaker metal imports, offset by output and stock draws, result in strongest demand levels so far in 2014
• Crude oil imports are depressed by slug...
• A time to position for (uneven) growth – The global recovery remains very uneven, and in the post-2008 world, the growth trajectory remains flatter (and longer) than in a conventional economic cycle. We expect the next phase of the global cycle to...
Africa’s palm oil industry is on the cusp of monumental change. Rising urban populations and incomes, coupled with the transition from wet to modern markets, are boosting edible oil consumption in the region. Because of its affordability, palm oil a...
• Risks of an El Niño event have risen, with potentially damaging consequences for some crop yields
• Our studies show global CPO stocks to be the most vulnerable to an El Niño event in the 2014/15 season
• Such an event could elevate inflation ...
• Market sentiment on CPO is moderately bullish and has been lifted by surprisingly strong Indian demand
• Production in East Malaysia will have a large bearing on prices this year relative to previous seasons
• We expect tighter end-season inven...
• Although Indonesia’s economic fundamentals are still strong, its external exposures are rising
• Balance-of-payments deterioration needs to be addressed with structural rather than ad-hoc measures
• External debt has risen in recent years, but ...
Refined palm olein now accounts for half of India’s palm oil imports; a substantial shift from the norm
• The spike in refined palm olein imports reflects deteriorating refining margins in India
• Industry woes have been compounded by a weakening ...
If this is a public computer please consider checking this box carefully.
Please access our research via your Straight2Bank account
Digital technology is transforming the economy and society. Adoption, not invention, has the most economic impact. Technology can lift developed countries if they embrace change. New technologies offer more opportunities than challenges for emerging markets.
About Standard Chartered
Group investor relations
Group media centre
WB media centre
Copyright © 2015 Standard Chartered Bank