• Focus: Power demand in Saudi Arabia is likely to reduce oil exports over the next two quarters
• Rebound in China’s SME confidence points to improving metal supply-chain activity in March
• Oil prices spiked higher briefly following Saudi-led ai...
Focus: A rise in uncompleted wells implies that US oil output is falling faster than the consensus view
• China’s nickel deficit is expected to grow in H1
• Global oil surplus is heavily concentrated in the US and is entirely in crude oil rather t...
• Overview – In a challenging market environment, macroeconomic and policy divergence – the ‘new normal’ – remains the critical foundation of our updated views and forecasts, with the US economy, USD and US rates leading the way higher. This will ev...
Focus: Our 2016 supply and demand forecasts are now available in Standard Chartered Scenarios
• Latest China metals production data points to a mixed picture for demand conditions in early 2015
• Oil prices have fallen sharply, primarily due to a ...
Sluggish China demand has outweighed mounting supply constraints in driving price action so far in 2015
• The turn lower in aluminium physical premia should generate medium-term support for LME prices
• The copper concentrate market deficit has st...
Focus: Softness in the zinc physical market points to continued near-term relative underperformance
• China’s preliminary trade data shows falls in copper imports and aluminium product exports
• Key monthly oil reports are due in the next week; we...
• Focus: Nickel was in surplus in 2014; however, we expect the market to move into deficit in 2015
• Further rig-count falls reinforce our view that US shale oil output growth will disappear in April
• ICSG data shows copper concentrate market de...
• Margin pressures, capex cutbacks and asset disposal were dominant themes at Indaba 2015
• Copperbelt producers remain under intense margin pressure at current copper price levels
• Zambia’s new royalty-tax regime is likely to drive more cutbacks...
• Focus: The fundamental outlook for OPEC has improved rapidly, particularly for H2
• Further signs of slowdown in China’s metal demand keep sentiment muted
• Brent prices have rallied above USD 60/bbl on expectations of a rapid weakening in non-O...
• Focus: Volatility in commodities has increased markedly in 2015 to date compared with last year
• A fall in China's copper concentrate imports in January points to cutbacks in refined output
• US oil drilling has fallen sharply again; market v...
• Focus: US shale oil output is set to fall m/m in April; it will fall for the rest of 2015 if prices stay low
• Base metal prices remain torn between demand pessimism and supply-side pressures
• Oil prices have rallied as the scale and speed of...
• Focus: Saudi Arabia’s exit strategy from disciplining non-OPEC producers is a pressing oil-policy issue
• Investor short positioning in copper has increased, generating significant downward price pressure
• Non-OPEC output is being hit hard, a...
• Short-term demand pessimism remains the prevalent theme as China quietens ahead of the Lunar New Year
• Mounting supply-rationing pressures and investor positioning extremes point to a price rebound by Q2-2015
• Copper prices are still far too l...
• Focus: Copper-price overshoot presents an opportunity for investors to position in Q1 for 2015
• Non-OPEC output potential is falling away sharply as oil-price undershoot continues
• The SNB’s surprise removal of the CHF ceiling further supports...
• We present our latest precious metal price forecasts and views ahead of the 2015 LBMA annual poll
• We expect gold prices to gain traction over the year, supporting the complex
• We revise up our 2015 palladium forecast
• China’s economic slowdown continues; only oil and copper demand remains robust
• Oil demand continues to grow; strategic stockpiling will likely lead to more crude oil imports in 2015
• Copper demand reached a record high in November, supporte...
Uneven economic growth, uneven prospects for commodities – Concerns over the frailty of the global economic recovery have created a bearish tone across the commodity complex in H2-2014 that only a handful of commodities have withstood. In some cases...
China’s commodity trade data implies firmer market conditions than sentiment is currently pricing in
• Demand growth has resumed for freight-related diesel after months of decline
• Refined copper data continues to show a surprisingly positive de...
China’s destocking cycle will likely continue into 2015; given sustained credit rationing to the metals sector, subsequent restocking cycle will likely be shallow and short-lived
• Absent broader and more aggressive policy action, we still favour b...
China’s oil and copper demand was strong in September
• Demand for other commodities was weak; the macroeconomic outlook is for a further slowdown in Q4
• We expect copper and oil demand to remain more robust than demand for most other commodities...
If this is a public computer please consider checking this box carefully.
Please access our research via your Straight2Bank account
Digital technology is transforming the economy and society. Adoption, not invention, has the most economic impact. Technology can lift developed countries if they embrace change. New technologies offer more opportunities than challenges for emerging markets.
About Standard Chartered
Group investor relations
Group media centre
WB media centre
Copyright © 2015 Standard Chartered Bank