• ETF: Focus is on precious metals, notably palladium funds; gold flows are bearish on positive US data
• CFTC: The uptick in managed-money flows was led by energy sector; Arabica net spec is overextended...
• ETF: Fund flows were positive across the entire complex, particularly for gold
• CFTC: Aggregate net spec increased again, but cumulative money flow appeared overextended...
• 3-month LME copper breaks lower on a lack of confidence about China amid talk about financing deals
• Market has overreacted to the possible outcome of unwinding, in our view; we do not see it happening
• We maintain our full-year price foreca...
Top 3 data/events
• Metals – Caught between China and Ukraine
• Turkey – CBRT expected to leave its policy rate on hold at 10%
• Germany – Investor confidence to moderate further in March
• Market focus
• Fed will likely taper QE by USD 10bn,...
• ETF: Flows were positive across most of the complex; geopolitical drivers provided tailwinds for gold
• CFTC: Managed-money flows trended towards their highest in two years
• ETF: Sentiment towards the broad index turns more bullish; gold sees outflows on price resistance
• CFTC: Large speculators turn more bullish towards commodities on high cash flow
• ETF: Flows into commodities were mostly positive, except for base metals
• CFTC: Aggregate net spec rose for a fourth straight week; dry weather drove agricultural net spec higher...
We are revising our price forecasts across the six LME base metals and the four main precious metals
• We expect divergent performance, with some metals rising on tightening balances and others staying flat
• Our preferred positive exposures are t...
• ETF: Overall flows were bearish due to outflows from energy and broad-index funds
• CFTC: Energy speculators turned more bearish; positions were overextended in copper, gold, and wheat...
• China – We revise up our forecast for copper demand growth for this year to 9%, after a strong summer
• Mine costs – We see a dramatic rise in operating costs for copper, with Chile losing competitiveness
• LME warehousing – We expect continued ...
Copper consumers in China maintain low-inventory strategy on bearish price outlook and tight credit
• Recent macro policy changes aimed at supporting growth have not boosted consumers’ confidence
• We maintain 5% growth forecast for China’s 2013 ...
This supersedes the version dated 16 July 2013. Page 5, Figure 5 is previous forecasts table.
• Gold – Price tumbles and then rebounds as markets react to hopes and fears about US QE
• Gold – Short-term risks are to the downside, but spike in leas...
China has issued a regulation to tighten supervision on commodities used in financing
• The regulation is likely to reduce leverage and encourage the unwinding of financing deals
• 3M LME copper faces downside risks in the near term, but the impa...
Demand – Problems in Europe are offsetting a seasonal upturn in China
• Supply – Chilean strike hits copper shipments and miners are planning further action
• Market – LME stock rise needs careful interpretation; premia rally despite stock overhan...
• Despite tightening measures, pressure on the currency has persisted
• Planned Bank of Zambia Act to allow the central bank to monitor and better regulate current account transactions
• Exporters may be required to remit earnings back to Zambia
• ETF: Gold outflows continue to slow; we see this as an early sign that a trough is forming
• CFTC: Speculative positions rise 26% w/w, mostly due to the outlook for agricultural commodities...
• Our discussions with copper consumers in China show that demand is improving
• Manufacturers are restocking copper products in preparation for the peak consumption season in Q2
• Refined copper stocks remain at a record-high level, providing hea...
• Gold – Investors continue to cut US managed-money positions and these are at a multi-year low
• Platinum – Tensions continue to simmer and Amplats suspends production temporarily
• Palladium – Boosted by South African problems and an upturn in t...
We were impressed by the scale and operations of Konkola and Muliashi mines in Zambia’s copper belt
• Zambia needs to add 300MW grid facility to grow production from the belt to 1.5mt from 1mt now
• We believe Zambia has an exciting future in copp...
• Bull case: Upside risks from improving demand backdrop and potential upside for investor positioning
• Bear case: Downside risks from supply growth, which is gaining momentum, and ample project pipeline
• Technical view: We expect sideways tradi...
If this is a public computer please consider checking this box carefully.
Please access our research via your Straight2Bank account
The world economy is in transition. Global growth rates are picking up, but transition means elevated risks and volatility.
In terms of global implications, all eyes will be on the US and China, with the US normalising monetary policy and China rebalancing its economy.
About Standard Chartered
Group investor relations
Group media centre
WB media centre
Copyright © 2014 Standard Chartered Bank